Monday 9 September 2013

Dairy Free Blueberry Muffins



I'm slowly working my way through my 'successful dairy free recipes'. This week I thought I'd share Blueberry Muffins. I'm hoping that once number 2 son is in school full time (he's only doing half days at the moment) that I'll have a little more time to experiment. But until that time I'm sticking with the family favourites!

Ingredients
360g Plain Flour
370g Caster Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
400 ml Coconut milk
1 Large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
70g Melted dairy free spread
250g Blueberries

Optional Demerara sugar for topping.

Method
Preheat oven to 170 C (325 F) Gas 3

Place flour, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a freestanding mixer or use a bowl and handheld electric whisk and slowly beat to combine.

In a jug put the can of coconut milk, egg and vanilla. Stir thoroughly.

Add wet ingredients to the dry and beat until ingredients well mixed.

Pour in the melted butter and mix until batter is smooth.

Fold in blueberries with a spoon.

Spoon into paper cases - I used uk muffin cases. Fill to two thirds full.

Optional - sprinkle each one with a teaspoon of Demerara sugar for a crunchy top.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave in the muffin tin for a few minutes then turn out onto wire cooling rack to cool completely.



Recipe adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment