Monday 26 August 2013

Dairy Free Victoria Sponge with Jam and Cream



So here goes....my first post! I thought I'd start with a family favourite - vanilla sponge cake. I have to admit that normally I don't add the 'cream' just good old jam in the middle and a generous dusting of caster sugar to the top but I thought I'd push the boat out and add the soya cream.

I have used the all-in-one method today as it suits quick family baking.

Ingredients

225g (8oz) dairy free spread
225g (8oz) caster sugar
4 large eggs
225g (8oz) self raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Filling and topping

4 tablespoons of jam
a sprinkle of caster sugar
packet of Soyatoo! Soy whip

Method

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/350 F/Gas 4. Adjust for fan ovens - I used 170 C.

Grease, using dairy free spread, and line the base of 2 x 8 inch (20cm) with greaseproof paper.

If using the Soyatoo! Soy cream pop it in a bowl and whip it using an electric whisk and put it in the fridge to set.

Now measure all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well until you have a smooth cake batter.

Divide mixture evenly between the tins (weigh them if it makes you happy - like me!).

Bake for 25 minutes or until evenly baked and springy on top!

Leave for a few moments then turn out and peel back the greaseproof.

When cold pop the jam in the middle and spread or pipe the cream inside.

Serve and eat straight away!

Notes

I use Pure Sunflower Spread as I have found it to be most successful for me.
The cream was nice, I have never used it as a cake filling before, but it doesn't have the same holding ability as dairy cream and the cake needed to be kept in the fridge. So I suggest if you need to make this in advance or it needs to travel omit the cream from the middle and stick with the classic jam - you could always serve the soy cream on the side!



No comments:

Post a Comment